Hon Dcn Chike John Okafor was born on the 15th of Novemeber 1972 to the family of HRH & Ugoeze Ifeanyichukwu John Okafor of Umuokeh in Obowu LGA of Imo State. He had his primary & secondary education in Imo State and graduated in 1998 with a Bsc in Economics from the Imo State University Owerri. He joined the banking sub-sector in 1999 where he spent 12 years and rose to the position of Senior Manager with Zenith Bank Plc from where he was appointed the commissioner of Finance in Imo State in 2011 as a result of his doggedness, hardwork, expertise and managerial abilities.
Currently, Member Federal House of Representative, Representing Okigwe South(Chairman House Committee on Health Care Services)
He holds a Masters Degree in Human Resources Management from the ESUT Business School. Fellow of the Institute of Management (NIM), Fellow Institute of Chartered Economist of Nigeria (FCE). Member National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (MNIMN) Member Chartered Institute of Personnel Administration (CIPM)
He is the receipent of Most Distinguished Lawmaker of the year at Face of Arise AfrikaAwards. He is a Paul Harris Fellow Award of Rotary International. Deacon Chike John Okafor is happily married to Deaconess Akudo Okafor and the marriage is blessed with 3 kids.
Congratulations for an honour well deserved from all of us at Arise Afrika.
Excerpts below is THE JOURNEY SO FAR as narrated by Hon Dcn Chike Okafor
ENSURING QUALITY REPRESENTATION OF OKIGWE SOUTH FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY:
The essence of representation in whatever capacity (especially in government) is about dedication to the cause of bringing the benefits of government and governance down to the ones whose mandate is being carried by ensuring that key development, collaborative efforts of development partners and the bearer’s personal contribution. It is a divine privilege for service, a high level of calling held in trust for the people.
Like I said once “The essence of holding political office is to bring development to the constituency. Anything sort of that is a disservice to the people. So if I understand that very well, then that summarizes it. I will widen my spectrum and search for developmental dividends and bring them home. As a person I have identifies a couple of things that would add value to the lives of my people in Okigwe South”
While these words spurred me on in my foray into government and politics, I must say here that I was a political accident. Politics was an unplanned foray for me. From humble banker striving to excel in my career, His Excllency, Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha on assumption of office in his first tenure in June 2011, picked me up and gave me my first taste of political appointment, guiding me and mentoring me, instilling in me the very values that enabled me to excel during my days as Honorable Commissioner, Imo State Ministry of Finance and saw me through my election into the Federal House of Representative where I am today the Chairman House Committee on Health Care Services. His amiable wife, Ugo Nneoma Nkechi Rochas Okorocha has been more than a mother to me. So much so that both of them creating a home and family atmosphere encouraged me to give my best as a proper and fitting compensation for the trust reposed on me by these wonderful people brought my way by God and the constituents who saw me fit to represent them. I engaged every resource available to me to ensure that no area of need is left without impact so long as my constituents enjoy the benefits of quality representation. I am indeed deeply indebted to His Excellency and family and my constituents, the people of Ehime Mbano, Ihitte Uboma & Obowo.
Worthy of mention along the line of my appreciation are the various leaders and clergy of the Anglican, Catholic and Pentecostal movements who not only gave me their blessings to run but encouraged their parishioners to not minding their various party affiliations ensure that they gave me their mandate because they believed in me. I was immensely blessed by their prayers and support. I also cannot leave out my dedicated campaign coordinators spread across the 31 wards of the 3 LGA ably led by Prof Chinedum Nwajiuba who was the Director General of the Deacon Chike Okafor Campaign Organization (DCOCO). His hard work and successful leadership ability which culminated in our eventual success at the polls immediately rewarded by God soon after the election that he found fit by the Federal Government to be elevated to the status of Vice Chancellor, Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo Ebonyi State.
I will not be boring you when I have to add here the most important appreciation of them all; and that is appreciation to my wonderful wife. Deaconess Akudo Okafor, a rare jewel beyond value. While being tasked with the difficult responsibility of ensuring the home front was taken care of, she found time to effectively galvanize the entire women of our constituency during the campaign and after. Her prayers were a source of spiritual and moral booster, like the Rock of Gibraltar she stood by me through thick and thin with her counsel, her words of hope and inspiration, her sleepless nights and arduous days can never be fully appreciated. You are indeed a Virtuous woman and I am forever blessed you are my wife.
As a true reflection of the commitment to my responsibility I have remained dedicated and regular to the sittings in the Green Chamber yet this has not overshadowed my other responsibility of constant personal connection with my constituent as I have made it a point of duty to utilize every movement available for constituency outreaches and briefing thereby creating accessibility and easy reach for the people of my constituency. This has ensured a balance so that nothing suffers.
Since my entry to the National Assembly, I have not let anyone in doubt that I have meant business in the house; I remember that I made a firm promise to be a strong voice for my people. Hence from June9, 2015 when we assumed office, I formed a close alliance with some of my colleagues and it was humbling for me to be the one who seconded the motion that saw Hon Yakubu Dogara emerge as the Speaker of the House. There exists a positive air between my colleagues and I allowing us forge a formidable force that has been instrumental in the stability of the house leadership notwithstanding the fact that I am a first timer. I have moved several motions that have direct bearing on the Nigerians targeted at alleviating their miseries – a proof of my in-touch stance with the imminent needs of all. It is my desire that I leave a legacy for future generations aspiring to similar exalted positions of responsibility to understand that leadership is all about stewardship.
Below is my account and portfolio of further achievements as your representative:
– Built and donated Secondary School at Ekeala Amuzi, Obowu
– Built and donated a 4 Classroom block at Amainyi High School Ihitte Uboma LGA
– Built and donated another 4 classroom blocks at Community Secondary School Amainyi-Nta in Ihitte Ubomma
– Working with Community Government Councils (CGCs) and religious leaders, I have identified a minimum of two indigent undergraduates per autonomous community from the Okigwe South Federal Constituency in their first year across various tertiary institutions under my sponsorship. Given that there are 32 autonomous communities in Ehime Mbano, 22 in Ihitte Uboma and 22 in Obowu LGAs this effectively gives a minimum of 152 beneficiaries under my yearly education sponsorship.
– I have been paying the WAEC, NECO and JAMB/UTME fees for a minimum of 150 indigent students drawn from various Secondary Schools in Obowu LGA yearly.
– As House committee Chairman on Health, my decisive and prompt intervention brought about the needed resolution to a lingering crisis that had rocked the Federal Medical Center, Owerrri to it bas, This necessitated the invitation of the Hon Minister of Health who spent a couple of days in Imo state amid extensive deliberations aimed at dousing the growing destructive tensions. The outcome of this propitious move is the present and new interim management of the facility now running peacefully with a son from Okigwe South Prof Ndu Eke at the helm.
– In the same vein, I have been instrumental to the resolution of a similar melee at the UNTH Enugu.
– Another landmark achievement is my influence in attracting the South East Regional Office of a Federal Agency located at New Owerri which will provide jobs to indigens of the State with indigenes from Okigwe South definitely not excluded from this.
– My discussion with the Federal Ministry of Health with a view to attract a federal tertiary Hospital to Okigwe South is at an advanced stage with the necessary approvals in place.
– Also one of the agencies under m y Ministry has concluded plans to site one of their centers in Okigwe South. This move which will soon be perfected will create jobs with Okigwe South Youths benefitting.
– Not withstanding the above, I have also influence and facilitated the employment of several sons and daughters of Okigwe South Federal constituency into several Federal Agencies and parastatals.
– This Medical empowerment outreach witnessed today to the three LGAs that make up the Okigwe South Federal Constituency is a clear testimony of my resolve to better the lot of my people.
POWER AND ELECTRIFICATION
– Distribution of 42 transformers to various communities in Obowo
– Distribution of 11 transformers to various communities in Ihitte Uboma
– Distribution of 25 transformers to communities in Ehime Mbano
– Carried out a full scale electricity projects to some communities like Ukwuohia, Umunachi, Umuosochie, Umuochichieze Amuzi, Umuokeh all in Obowo
– Carried out full scale electricity project in Dioka Nzerem in Ehime Mbano
OTHER INFRASTRUCTRAL PROJECTS
– Immortalized Dee Sam Mbakwe by building an ultra modern 2500 capacity Dee Sam Mbakwe pavilion at Otoko
– Built and donated an ultra modern police station to Obowu LGA located in Umuokeh autonomous community with a Hilux Van to aid patrol
BILLS SPONSORED IN THE HOUSE
– (1) HB 69 CHARTERED Institute of Consumer Relationship Management bill 2015/ 18/11/02015 17/12/2015 Commerce/Awaiting Committee Report
– (2) HB 292 Dangerous Drugs Acts (Amendment) bill 2015, 10/12 4/5/2016/ Committee of whole 2/6/2016 passed by house & Transmitted to the senate for concurrence.
– (3) HB 293 Value Added Tax Act (Amendment) Bill 2015, 10/112/2015 4/5/2016 Committee of whole 2/6/2016 passed by House & Transmitted to Senate for concurrence
– (4) HB 294 VVertinary Surgeons Act (Amendment) Bill 2015 Hon Chike Okafor 10/12/2015, 25/2/2016 Agricultural production services 19/5/2016, 2/6/2016 passed by house & Transmitted to senate for concurrence.
MOTIONS MOVED IN THE HOUSE
– A motion of urgent importance on the need for intervention of the Federal Government on the abandoned Owerr- Port Harcourt road and the need to complete its rehabilitation
– A motion for the urgent need to check illegal Routed into Nigeria in order to reduce acts of Terrorism
– A motion for the urgent need to stop the embarrassing outbreak of Lassa Fever Virus in Nigeria and the need to step up the gifht against further spread and loss of lives
– A motion for the urgent need to investigate the unpaid contracts by the Federal Government of Nigeria and its agencies, to local contractor
– A motion for the need to investigate the alleged non-transparent and fraudulent sale of power assets by the Bureau for public enterprise (BPE)
– A motion for the urgent need to encourage voluntary Blood donation to the National Blood Bank and to avoid continuous loss of lives as a result of non-availability of Blood in Emergency situations
– A motion for the urgent need to treat accident victims as emergency without subjecting them to hospital protocols
– A motion for investigation of alleged unremitting of funds to the Federal Account and the looted funds by Ministries, Agencies and Parastatals
– A motion for the need to establish Military Training Schools in all the Geo-political zones in Nigeria
I must confess that the expectations of my people are high and may look daunting but by Gods special grace I am steadily rising to match those expectations with commensurate results. To whom much is given much is expected and the people of Okigwe South Federal Constituency should expect much more as I am not spent yet
Let the wind of change blow
Imo Must Be Better.